Sign in to follow this  
Neil

R.E.M. - on TV tonight

ORANGE PLAYLIST

Thursday 30th September ITV1, midnight

GUEST: MICHAEL STIPE

Track from the past: Michael’s first track is ‘Video Killed the Radio Star’ by one hit wonders The Buggles. He says ‘‘You can put this on at any party and you’ll definitely get people dancing”. The tune was the first video to ever be played on MTV on August 1, 1981 at 12.01am and it’s well worth tuning in to see this favourite of the R.E.M. front man.

Track from the present: ”Hip hop started on the fringe and built momentum – now it’s in the mainstream, it’s in danger of being watered down, but this track manages to be a big hit and rises out of the genre to become a classic” ‘99 Problems’ by Jay Z is Michael Stipe’s track from the present.

Track from the future: This song is Michael’s tip for the future. “A love song for New York City”. He believes it’s important for fans to interpret songs for themselves and make them their own and this is exactly what fans can do with the latest offering from his band - R.E.M. The single entitled ‘Leaving New York ‘ was released on 27th September. The single is taken from the album ‘Around the Sun’, which will be released on 4th October, and the you can see the video to their new single on the show which was directed by Sheffield’s Peter Care – who also directed ‘Radio Song’, ‘Man on the Moon’ and ‘What’s the Frequency Kenneth’.

Dedicated track: This track is dedicated to Michael Stipe’s good friend Michael Hutchence “one of the greatest front men of our time”. The phenomenally produced track, written about raw desire and deeper beauty, is ‘Beautiful Girl’ by INXS.

All Time Favourite track: It was a tough choice, but Radiohead, renowned for their spectacular and epic music videos won the top spot. ‘Pyramid Song’ is Michael Stipe’s all time favourite. “It’s a very sad song that leaves you optimistic and hopeful. A beautiful thing”.

Other bits

“One of the first albums I was given was the soundtrack to Disney’s ‘Parent Trap’ with Haley Mills– I can still sing all the words from the album!”

“I was a really bad DJ with great musical tastes, after a few drinks I would mix in my Jane Fonda double workout album into the set, the night always kicked off with “Are you ready to sweat…?”

Stipe spoke about his love of rap and how he is a he fan of rapper Jay Z’s music – couldn’t say the same about his girlfriend’s though: “When we met for dinner it was a bit of a love fest, I haven’t listened to his girlfriend’s music but she cuts a fine figure”

I saw a bit of this - had forgotten what a thoughtful and inspiring chap Mr. Stipe was. Still not looking too well though, eh?

How he put up with the presenter (Lauren Laverne I think? ex-Indie stars all look the same to me :() I have no idea. Makes me cringe just thinking about it... all those bizarre hand gestures?!?

Shame coz her radio shows are great.

The new REM single ain't half bad, but I still reckon they're infuriatingly inconsistent. Stil, I can forgive them anything for the quality of their work pre-1995 - Life's Rich Pageant (1986) is still my favourite album of all time :(.

Oh no! missed it! And that Oxfam gig was on Friday and i missed that too :)

What do you make of the new album? I've only seen bad reviews of it, but i think its pretty good. I'll never get tired of Stipey's voice