Redmeister

Ibiza Rocks

Yeah I went last year. There's a review I did here.

Here's a summarising quote:

Ibiza Rocks! is undoubtedly a good idea, but the festival in itself hasn’t been created for the love of rock music but more as a conveniently self-structured event to pander to a minority taste. This isn’t an event that people would travel to Ibiza for, and I fear that it’s future will rest on the forthcoming relationship between indie-rock music and the mainstream. However, while it is here it is a welcome alternative to the other styles of music on the island and proves Ibiza can create some form of diversity.

Yeah I went last year. There's a review I did here.

Here's a summarising quote:

Ibiza Rocks! is undoubtedly a good idea, but the festival in itself hasn’t been created for the love of rock music but more as a conveniently self-structured event to pander to a minority taste. This isn’t an event that people would travel to Ibiza for, and I fear that it’s future will rest on the forthcoming relationship between indie-rock music and the mainstream. However, while it is here it is a welcome alternative to the other styles of music on the island and proves Ibiza can create some form of diversity.

its fairly obvious after reading your review it wasnt so much a review of ibiza rocks as a review of the last few days of last years last summer gigs

but more as a conveniently self-structured event to pander to a

minority taste

minority taste???? - do the sums - who sells more or attracts more? paul van dyk or the arctic monkeys, carl cox or the kaiser chiefs,

the thing that most people fail to realise is that although "clubbing" gets 90% of the press off the island but clubbers only account for about 20% of the tourists and they spend fuck all outside of the clubs

live music has been here since the 60's and now with "clubbing" beginning to get tired and stale over the past few years its no wonder that one of the original "club nights" on the island have recognised where things are going (cf the 2 small mtv festival days and then the main one at privilege a few years back)

everyone thinks that everyone on the island is here because they want to go clubbing every night - if that were the case then why is only pacha open in the winter on only fri & sat ?

there is a very healthy music scene here outside of the summer and its great that andy et al are pushing it during the summer and trying to change perceptions

weve been every week this year and its been great - with all the crap thats been going on here with the clubs its refreshing not to see gurning twats off their face but just people enjoying themselves to live music

be cynical if you want but it's you who is missing out :)

Yes - it was a review of the last few days, but that was a 3 day festival in itself - I didn't spend all summer in Ibiza.

I stand by everything I said - Nobody in their right mind would travel to the island for the festival - they could just go and see those bands in their local town for much cheaper.

As far as the island's concerned it is a minority taste. People don't travel to Ibiza during the summer season to go to gigs. It's just not what the people there are interested in, people DO go to San Antonio for the whole clubbing thing. I think you'll find very few people who disagree. And the bands that were at the festival weren't exactly huge acts, they were relatively small indie bands that WOULD be a minority taste - Captain, The Cribs, Boy Kill Boy...

Faced with the choice of going to a festival to see bands I would go to Reading, TITP or Isle of Wight. If I wanted to go clubbing I'd go to Ibiza, and Ibiza rocks wouldn't convince me otherwise.

god i wish you knew what the fuck you were talking about

how often do you go on holiday and see live bands ??

no huge acts? kasabian, arctic monkeys, fratellis

how much is the price of seeing arctic monkeys in a cavern like earls court compared to seeing them in a small 500 person venue?? can you do that in the uk??

you're no better than every other lazy journo who when faced with the word "ibiza" trot out the usual pissed up drug brits - i'm not saying they are not here but the island is sick of being tarred with the idea its just clubbing and san antonio

god i wish you knew what the fuck you were talking about

how often do you go on holiday and see live bands ??

no huge acts? kasabian, arctic monkeys, fratellis

how much is the price of seeing arctic monkeys in a cavern like earls court compared to seeing them in a small 500 person venue?? can you do that in the uk??

you're no better than every other lazy journo who when faced with the word "ibiza" trot out the usual pissed up drug brits - i'm not saying they are not here but the island is sick of being tarred with the idea its just clubbing and san antonio

As you cleverly pointed out yourself I was reviewing the festival at the end of the summer, held over 3 days - those acts didn't play.

You're obviously just some Ibiza addict than can't stand anyone criticizing their beloved island. I praised the venue in Ibiza, but criticised the extent to which the event can continue as I believe it's just an attempt to cash in on the recent popularity of indie bands.

And....The festival was held in San Antonio, which was filled with those pissed up drug brits you talked about.

You're obviously just some Ibiza addict than can't stand anyone criticizing their beloved island. I praised the venue in Ibiza, but criticised the extent to which the event can continue as I believe it's just an attempt to cash in on the recent popularity of indie bands.

And....The festival was held in San Antonio, which was filled with those pissed up drug brits you talked about.

no, i live here

its now in its 3rd year and live music has been growing for er 6/7 years to the extent that now you can either go to earls court etc etc or go and see the same band in a small venue and do that while youre on holiday in the sun

bit of a no brainer if you ask me

do you know about benicassim - its the same principle - you go away for some sun and best of all you get to see a live band

i know the people behind ibiza rocks and i know why they are doing it

youre just trying to justify which you now realise was, to be frank, a bit of an art wank piece of journalism

i stand by my original reply, whether you like or not live music has always been a part of the island - the problem is that for the past 10 years stories about clubbing, hedonism etc etc sells papers and are easy news stories

if you knew anything about anything you'd realise that

where do you live?

oh please, youre from dorset and do stirling university...

no, i live here

its now in its 3rd year and live music has been growing for er 6/7 years to the extent that now you can either go to earls court etc etc or go and see the same band in a small venue and do that while youre on holiday in the sun

bit of a no brainer if you ask me

do you know about benicassim - its the same principle - you go away for some sun and best of all you get to see a live band

i know the people behind ibiza rocks and i know why they are doing it

youre just trying to justify which you now realise was, to be frank, a bit of an art wank piece of journalism

i stand by my original reply, whether you like or not live music has always been a part of the island - the problem is that for the past 10 years stories about clubbing, hedonism etc etc sells papers and are easy news stories

if you knew anything about anything you'd realise that

where do you live?

oh please, youre from dorset and do stirling university...

Like it or not mate, the majority of people go to Ibiza to go clubbing, Ibiza Rocks wouldn't even exist without the whole clubbing scene that there is on the island and if you're suggesting it would then you're a far more stupid person than I am.

The reason the press is reporting about the clubbing side of the island is because that's why people go there - for the clubs. Even if that wasn't the case in the beginning it certainly is now.

I wouldn't call my review art, but I appreciate the compliment.

Yup, I've lived in Dorset, and I've lived in Stirling, I've also lived in London, and I now live in Bristol. Your point?

Oh, and would you please stop spamming this site with links to your own website.

Like it or not mate, the majority of people go to Ibiza to go clubbing, Ibiza Rocks wouldn't even exist without the whole clubbing scene that there is on the island and if you're suggesting it would then you're a far more stupid person than I am.

The reason the press is reporting about the clubbing side of the island is because that's why people go there - for the clubs. Even if that wasn't the case in the beginning it certainly is now.

you have no idea do you?

you fall into the same trap every other lazy journo does

ibiza=clubbing

ergo without clubbing the island doesnt have anyone - except that er....

sorry - mate - the figures dont add up - there are 4 million tourists on the island every year - clubbers account for 20% - even my basic maths can work out that is not a majority

sorry you couldnt get to see the view, holloways, css & kasabian - as we did tonight (and tomorrow) and then LCD Soundsystem on wednesday, and then the enemy and fratellis, mark ronson etc etc (oh and did i mention arctic monkeys?) - maybe you can see them in a fuckin huge venue and pay the same...

P7161456.jpg

sorry you couldnt get to see the view, holloways, css & kasabian - as we did tonight (and tomorrow) and then LCD Soundsystem on wednesday, and then the enemy and fratellis, mark ronson etc etc (oh and did i mention arctic monkeys?) - maybe you can see them in a fuckin huge venue and pay the same...

sorry for this quite collossal bump!

but I'm afraid mate, every single band/artist you have mentioned (bar LCD and MAYBE css) in your last and all your previous posts, has been utter, utter garbage and makes me wish nothing but total failure on the Ibiza Rocks monster! Is it back this year? hope not!

sorry for this quite collossal bump!

but I'm afraid mate, every single band/artist you have mentioned (bar LCD and MAYBE css) in your last and all your previous posts, has been utter, utter garbage and makes me wish nothing but total failure on the Ibiza Rocks monster! Is it back this year? hope not!

yes its back this year - prodigy are playing - what would you rather do - see them on a small-ish stage under the open sky with about 900 other people or the following week go and see them at milton keynes bowl with 50,000 other people ?

bit of a no brainer :)

why would you wish it failure ? - i assume your wish for failure also applies to every other single festival/gig in the world that has bands on that you dont like ?

i hate music snobs