Sign in to follow this  
5co77ie

Gigs at the weekends more lively?

I went to see a band recently and got chatting to a bloke at the bar - who said he was looking forward to seeing them. After the gig on the way out i saw him again and asked if he enjoyed it - he replied he didn't but it was mid-week and last time he had seen them was at a weekend.

This got me thinking do bands perform better shows at weekends or is it just the crowd that get more into it on a weekend. What do you think do mid-week gigs suffer from apathy?

I think it is always in the back of your mind that you have work / school / college / whatever the next day, so you can't really go for it as much as you might like. This wouldn't affect the atmosphere if it was only one or two people, but when it's the majority of a crowd, it can kill the atmosphere slightly I reckon.

Yeah I'd be interested to see whether tours build this in - playing the big 'cherry picked' venues on weekends.

I think they do try to play certain towns on a weekend, and the not-so-lively ones on a week night. A lot of bands will play Manchester or London on Friday or Saturday, but say, Stoke, during the week

Yeah i think that's why we always struggle out here in the sticks to get to see bands cos it's on a school night usually and we tend to take our daughter as a ticket is cheaper than a baby sitter.

Yeah i think that's why we always struggle out here in the sticks to get to see bands cos it's on a school night usually and we tend to take our daughter as a ticket is cheaper than a baby sitter.

I was going to say Exeter, but thought better of it!

I always presumed that University gigs were during the week cos it was University hours - do universities around the country put on weekend gigs ever?

I always presumed that University gigs were during the week cos it was University hours - do universities around the country put on weekend gigs ever?

I think so. My brief Uni time in Preston certainly had weekend gigs, and Manchester does.

When I was at Uni, if there were any 'gigs' it would be on a Friday night I think.