Sign in to follow this  
One Little Fish

When's Scotland going to start producing talent again?

I mean come on, our last two bands that are decent are Idlewild and Mogwai. Idlewild have become a cult band who can't break into the top 20 albums on their week of release, and now Mogwai have been surpassed well and truly by Sigur Ros after the wonder that is Takk.

Fratellis? Pah, rubbish. The View? Emperors new clothes. Franz Ferdinand? Formulaic at best.

When on earth are we going to break out of the verse/bridge/chorus/verse/bridge/chorus/guitar solo/chorus/chorus/end mould? Where's our Deerhoofs?

The Twilight Sad are a band from Scotland who I'm really liking at the minute, their soon to be released album is fantastic. Though I did notice our very own editor speedyscott gave them an awful live review at sxsw, but each to their own!

Arab Strap splitting is a big loss to the Scottish scene, absolutely fantastic band. I think Scotland does alright in general though, lots of decent bands compared to Wales/Ireland. You have the likes of Camera Obscura, Belle and Sebastian, King Creosote, Ballboy, Boards of Canada, Biffy Clyro etc as well as those you've already mentioned. Plus some other great bands who no longer cease to be such as Delgados, The Beta Band and Urusei Yatsura. All wales had that was decent is Super Furrys and Gorky'z Zygotic Mynci (if anyone mentions the manics or fucking phonics i'l scream).

That's the thing - we don't celebrate or care about our best bands. Idlewild are to many extents the greatest Scottish band of all time, yet they're tucked away on a minor label. Our best rock acts are shoved away on tiny little labels playing support slots in little venues, whilst anything that begs to get played by Jo Whiley (In commercial new music we trust, people) is celebrated. A few "doo doo doo doo"s are heralded as amazing.

Dykeenies? Pish. Fratellis? Don't make me laugh. Franz Ferdinand? The eighties were fucking shite the first time around.

Probably unhear of as a doubt they are really mainstream stuff but my minds weapon are pro loads of little local bands help keep the music scene fresh rather than the ones who shoot away of to stardom which last a few week/ months also a would sugest that if you get a chance to see silence kills all dae it they have an amazing stage performance tho it can get pretty brutal

That's the thing - we don't celebrate or care about our best bands. Idlewild are to many extents the greatest Scottish band of all time, yet they're tucked away on a minor label. Our best rock acts are shoved away on tiny little labels playing support slots in little venues, whilst anything that begs to get played by Jo Whiley (In commercial new music we trust, people) is celebrated. A few "doo doo doo doo"s are heralded as amazing.

Dykeenies? Pish. Fratellis? Don't make me laugh. Franz Ferdinand? The eighties were fucking shite the first time around.

Not true, the Scot's dooooooo celebrate their best bands - its everyone else that ignores the good uns and loves the crap ones.

Good new bands in Scotland at the mo (imo):

Futuro

Figure 5

The Cinematics

God I know theres loads and cant remember. I'll post more for when I do. As for Twilight Sad it was an awful set - I know I didn't have much time to go into much depth with the review but neither the band or the crowd were interested in that one.