Sign in to follow this  
Haggis

The Guillemots

The latest review on the Guillemots is full of praise for the band, whereas previously a reviewer (ok, me) had considered them to be pretentious overblown tosh, despite quite likely their records.

So who's right egiggers? What's your take on Fyfe Dangerfield et al?

I think the point is whether you consider their 'alternativeness' to be an issue. I personally commend them for being different and addressing the huge problem of plagiarism in the music industry. But then again I would say that because I wrote the article! Would be interesting to see if people agreed with me.

Have to say over all i agree with Haggis - saw them five times at festivals - always dreadful except Guilfest where they were great!? Go figure also seen them three times indoors - once they never got it together enough to play the other two times both dire, saw them on telly at some live thing - superb. A bit of an enigma - good when they can almost match their sound on vinyl - terrible when they are a mess - i've always found best clue is to go by the dishevelledness of the lead vocalist - if he's looking wrecked so inevitably is the performance.

Interesting theory! It would figure considering the fact that he turned up to the gig looking extremely smart in a white suit. I probably would agree that they are a very enigmatic band but I think this is beginning to be put behind them as they harness a degree of consistency that previously eluded them. I find that reviews of them have generally improved over time showing a move in the right direction even if you don't fully appreciate them as a band.

They were shite at TITP - there's my tuppence worth. If you look at the eFest reviews they differ dramatically, but it seems like they got slated at the start of the summer and praise towards the end.

I like them on record but from what I've seen they're pretty awful live.

Agreed

must be a first!