• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cat

Cat

• Moderators
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:10 PM

Camden's Electric Ballroom (clickety) is due to close in the not too distant. This is a real shame, coz - sleazy little dump though it is :( - it's a pretty decent venue, but it looks like it won't escape the redevelopment of Camden Town tube station.

There's a petitionny thing on their website against its demolition, but sadly it looks like its days are numbered.

So does anyone else care? The place has a great history, and it usuallly has a pretty good atmosphere... seems to me that it would be a real shame to see it go :(.

Edited by Cat, 01 October 2004 - 07:11 PM.

#2 chappiepunk

chappiepunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Music, going to gigs, spending time with my gf.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:34 PM

Never been there, so dont really know what its like!

#3 BooBooKittyF**K

BooBooKittyF**K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:33 PM

Pissed, that was a wicked venue. Saw a few smaller bands there, and a local band from Dover used to get gigs there.

Just one more bit of Camden that is slowly slipping these days. :(

#4 tonyblair

tonyblair

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 09:39 AM

I used to go there loads, then didn't go for a while, and returned last year (or the year before) to see Garbage, who were fantastic (so relaxed and chatty) and couldn't believe how small it was, not how I remembered it. Seems like other venues have sort of taken it's place, the Forum is pretty close, Astoria isn't far, Dingwalls, Underworld, and aren't they going to do up (again) the old Camden Palace? (blimey, aren't we spoiled in north London.. :( )

#5 Simmirella

Simmirella

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:31 PM

I actually mentioned it on the Discussions forum on efests a while ago and am writing a news feature on it for a module I'm doing on Feature Writing for my degree this term and have been looking into it's demise and whether it would have stood a chance regardless of whether it was used more often or not. It had seemed to have disappeared completely from the rader for a while, but then in the last few months, Sum 41 and The Hives have played one-off gigs there and The Donnas and The Ordinary Boys have made it the London date(s) on their tours, so perhaps, if given the chance it could again flourish, but it doesn't look at all likely to get that chance, especially seeing bands are unlikely to book a venue that could well be closed before they even get to play it

#6 BitterHeartsAndBrokenDreams

BitterHeartsAndBrokenDreams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:36 PM

Real shame that! Its one of my fave venues in london! :-(

#7 pilton pasty

pilton pasty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 11:18 PM

A little bit of a rough place, but still a great venue. Seen jah wobble a few years back, great gig, also zion train were there to see him.
Also what about the record fairs?

gigs going to :-

DEAD 60S BARFLY CAMDEN
MANIC STREET PREACHERS PLYMOUTH
POGUES BIRMINGHAM

#8 minskyyy

minskyyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:19 AM

i will miss it. went to see athlete there last night. its small, has a nice bar and you can see the band you have gone to see from nearly anywhere without having to squish yourself at the front. i will be very sad when it closes

#9 sheep21

sheep21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:42 AM

from what I gather London Undergrounds plans have been denied permission and the electiric ballroom and adjacent market are safe :blink:

#10 DanDeg

DanDeg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:26 PM

Thank god, top venue is the ballroom!

#11 Gary

Gary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

I'm not sure I could cope with losing the EB as well as the Palais and Astoria/Mean Fiddler.

Nice little place the EB. Glad to see it's NOT being destroyed.

#12 Temporaryism

Temporaryism

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:48 PM

Wow, I never knew that it almost got demolished. I've been to a few gigs there this year and I have to say it's probably in the best 2 or 3 venues in London.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users