• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cat

Cat

• Moderators
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 06:32 PM

I've just, in the last few months, done something a bit daft and accidentally ended up moving to Leatherhead in Surrey. It's only a temporary thing, probably only for another 6 months or so - but I was wondering if anyone around these parts knew of any venues which might have bands. I know there are lots of (shit :() clubs in Guildford, and there's probably a few in Epsom - but no live music venues that I've come across.

I can still go to my usual places in London, but there must be something a little closer to home which might have the odd band. Doesn't have to be anything big, usual pub band fare would be fine, and the smokier and grubbier the better! Just in case I want something to do of an evening that doesn't involve staring at the flippin' Internet :(.

So... anyone?

#2 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:15 AM

the civic hall in guildford has bands now & then.

But the main problem with that area is it's too close to london - any half decent band will play london, but then consider anywhere in surrey as too close, and not likely to attract enough ticket sales. And likewise, people tend to want to seee things in london in preference to anywhere local.

#3 chappiepunk

chappiepunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Music, going to gigs, spending time with my gf.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 02:59 PM

Kingston isnt bad, the peel is a nice little venue! Saw Hundred Reasons there many a moon ago!

#4 incident

incident

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:13 PM

The Civic Hall in Guildford has closed down. They're allegedly going to rebuild it, but I've no idea when. The Electric Theatre sometimes has concerts, but they're usually Jazz\Swing\Blues\Classical type things.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no major (say 500+) venues holding gigs left in surrey.. The best you'll find is various pubs that will let local bands play.. I always found it best to just go up to london..

#5 chappiepunk

chappiepunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Music, going to gigs, spending time with my gf.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:30 PM

The Civic Hall in Guildford has closed down. They're allegedly going to rebuild it, but I've no idea when. The Electric Theatre sometimes has concerts, but they're usually Jazz\Swing\Blues\Classical type things.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no major (say 500+) venues holding gigs left in surrey.. The best you'll find is various pubs that will let local bands play.. I always found it best to just go up to london..

View Post

yeah thats true, London is always good for a gig!

#6 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:09 PM

which is exactly why there's sod-all venues worth a mention in Surrey! :(

#7 lewis.w

lewis.w

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:57 AM

theres a few about.. not many though.. the star in guildford occasionally comes up with a few gems.. not exactly a big venue though... and chiddingfold working mens club of all places has on numerous occasions been a venue for BIG name bands and artists to play before they embark on their world tours.(its like a local gig to them).. :D but you have to keep an ear to the ground on that 1 as they never play under their own names... normally their playin under the most obscure name they can think up, lol :P
but ive got to agree that genraly good regular live music is somewhat lacking in surrey.. :(

#8 GigRigs

GigRigs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:51 PM

Well, if anyone knows of a venue in Surrey that would allow it to be used for gigs, I have a HK Audio Actor DX plus 4x Dart monitors itching to find somewhere to crank em up :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users