• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 salt

salt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:12 AM

Well as any of you locals will know there are plenty of mid-sized and smaller venue for good music in Leeds; Cockpit, Leeds MET, Wardrobe, Joseph's Well, Brudenhall Social even the City Varieties but why oh why do we still not have a decent LARGER sized venue?

If I want to go see a band of any larger popularity, why do I have to go to Sheffield or more frequently Manchester.

If the new Xscape in Castelford worked out that there was a catchment audience of 7 million within 45 minutes travel, then surely the same reasoning goes for music events. Hel, I'd be happy sharing it with other events.

The live music scene seems to be flourishing like a flower in Spring at the moment - and if Leeds wants to be taken seriously as an international centre then one of the things it is lacking is a venue that can cope with large scale events].

Discuss...

#2 macky

macky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:24 PM

What about Roundhay Park and Elland Road? :)

#3 jonny_quest

jonny_quest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Loving music<br />Hateing Racist Cunts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:47 AM

we may not have any massive venues but in all fairness we are spoilt by our little venues, places like manc and newcastle may have the stadium size venues but they dont have the small 'grassroots' type venues, but it would b nice to see a nice big venue so we can see all the big bands that reflects the sive of the city and the area around it, also i think some1 told me that rounday park isnt allowed to host massive rock gigs any more!!

#4 Redmeister

Redmeister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:00 AM

I'm watching the Charlatans at Leeds Uni.

What's the venue like? similar to Manchester Academy?

#5 jonny_quest

jonny_quest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:14 AM

Not been to Academy in manc, is it at the uni or the met, the uni is an ok venue, but it get really hot its kinda a long thin venue kinda thing lol

#6 kilgore

kilgore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:46 AM

I'm watching the Charlatans at Leeds Uni.

What's the venue like? similar to Manchester Academy?

View Post

Similar to Academy 2 - old University Refrectory hall. Leeds Uni is probably a few hundred bigger capacity though. It's a good venue - good acoustics, etc. B)

Unless it's at the Met Uni which is smaller :D

#7 jonny_quest

jonny_quest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:57 AM

and squarer :D

#8 salt

salt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 05:40 PM

we may not have any massive venues but in all fairness we are spoilt by our little venues, places like manc and newcastle may have the stadium size venues but they dont have the small 'grassroots' type venues, but it would b nice to see a nice big venue so we can see all the big bands that reflects the sive of the city and the area around it, also i think some1 told me that rounday park isnt allowed to host massive rock gigs any more!!

View Post

Spoilt by small venues - yes, I agree, but It was the bigger venue I was on about really. Why do bands do Sheffield or Manchester but miss out on Leeds? Answer: Becuase for most medium to big bands there is nowhere for them to perform. When's the last time Elland Road put on something? Or Roundhay Park?

We need a permanent inside venue that is suitbale for a variety of purposes - not just music. Leeds is always harping on about how it's cutting edge, prosperous, growing etc etc - but a big event venue is a glaring omission.

#9 Redmeister

Redmeister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:02 PM

Spoilt by small venues - yes, I agree, but It was the bigger venue I was on about really. Why do bands do Sheffield or Manchester but miss out on Leeds? Answer: Becuase for most medium to big bands there is nowhere for them to perform.  When's the last time Elland Road put on something? Or Roundhay Park?

We need a permanent inside venue that is suitbale for a variety of purposes - not just music. Leeds is always harping on about how it's cutting edge, prosperous, growing etc etc - but a big event venue is a glaring omission.

View Post

I thought Leeds was getting an arena? I heard that a couple of years back. There was talk about them having an ice hockey team playing in it.

#10 Redmeister

Redmeister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:29 AM

Its at the Refactory.

#11 jonny_quest

jonny_quest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:35 AM

'I thought Leeds was getting an arena? I heard that a couple of years back. There was talk about them having an ice hockey team playing in it.'

yeah it was going to go on the side of elland road when leeds U had some money but i think it will b on hold for a few years!!

#12 salt

salt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:54 AM

I did a search on a Leeds Development website and there are no current plans for an arena as far as anyone know, certainly no approved plans.

#13 Redmeister

Redmeister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:28 AM

this refactory place, is this the long hall thing?

#14 kilgore

kilgore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 12:55 PM

this refactory place, is this the long hall thing?

View Post

Yep, that's the bunny

Similar to MDH (Academy 2) but longer with a balcony .... after thinking about it, if the whole back of the refectory is opened up (it's partitioned) it's probably got a much bigger capacity, maybe like that of Academy 1 ?

photograph from the rear balcony....
Posted Image

#15 Redmeister

Redmeister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:00 AM

Yep, that's the bunny

Similar to MDH (Academy 2) but longer with a balcony .... after thinking about it, if the whole back of the refectory is opened up (it's partitioned) it's probably got a much bigger capacity, maybe like that of Academy 1 ?

photograph from the rear balcony....
Posted Image

View Post

Cheers for that.

#16 dondo

dondo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:07 PM

Ye- I think since the T&C disappeared we have been lacking a medium to lare sized venue- which is a shame

I always thought that they might do something with the 2 old cinemas that closed down in town but doesn't look like it.

Still some good venues though and the calibre of bands touring in Leeds now seems a lot better

#17 Ringo

Ringo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 09:14 AM

Not to put a dampner on the Refectrory but I do think its one of the worst venues around, specially for sold out gigs.
as you say, its longs and thin which means getting to the bar takes ages...the bar is at the back of the venue where you stand under loads of fluorescent ligths, it kinda ruins the atmos.And theres loads of pillar round the edge which not only block the view but screw the acoustics up.
the worst thing by far is the bogs. Theyre in the basement and it takes about 5 minutes to get to them! just keep them legs crossed instead!
The Manc Acadamey is a really basic venue but far better, much wider with a cans bar in the actual venue.
Leeds has gone down the pan for good size bands since the death of the T&C. I remember in one week years ago i saw Orbital, Primal Scream and Supergrass in the T&C....thats what leeds is lacking at the mo!
Personally though i quite enjoy my trips across to Manc (from York), lots of drinking time on the train and the venues are close to Oxord Road station

#18 edenic

edenic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:21 AM

Your all right but the fact remains that a larger gig space would also allow other music genres in to the city and allow the piano competion a world stage that reflects its importance. its a disgrace to leeds an insult to the people and a shame on the local authority. an independent venue space would be ideal at the defunct international pool area, centrally placed and accsessible to the station and new supertram.

#19 danmillea

danmillea

Addicted

• reviewers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Interests:Gigs, festivals, more gigs, booze!

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:32 PM

SSSSShhhhhhhh don't tell any one but I work for a security company and I've heard that the T+C is coming back, or the building willl be a music venue again. We do need an arena though. At least we get the Leeds festival!

#20 drbonk

drbonk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:59 PM

hey i know annihilator is tourin and playin at sheffield which i think has a alright venue

05/10/10
Paris - Divan du Monde
06/10/10
Antwerp - Trix
07/10/10
Ludwigsberg - Rockfabrik
08/10/10
Luxembourg - Den Atelier
10/10/10
Uden - Pul
11/10/10
Frankfurt - Batchkapp