16 replies to this topic

#1 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:02 PM

Someone just used the "add a venue" feature to suggest the Academy 3, and they started to give an explaination of whats what with all hese academies, but the text got chopped.

So, can anyone explain to a non-mancunian?

#2 Haggis

Haggis

• reviewers
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:48 PM

Sorry Neil, that was me.

Once there was the (huge) Acadamy, the (mid-size)University MDH (Main debating Hall) and the (pub size) Hop & Grape. The Academy was a separate building whilst the MDH and the Hop & Grape were in the Student Union building on separate floors, the latter being much smaller.

For reasons best know to the Union, they have now called them Academy 1 2 & 3, in order of size, creating no end of confusion for old folks like me who prefer the seperate identity.

anyhoo, hope that's cleared it up for you!

#3 Neil

Neil

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:05 PM

cheers - I'll amend the venue entry to reflect that.

I'll keep them all together tho, as often the listing info that's released doesn't specify which of the three a band is playing.

#4 little_miss_star

little_miss_star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:37 PM

yeah often I get confused when it just says 'Manchester University'

#5 wee_insomniac

wee_insomniac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:46 PM

It will say on the ticket either way, and normally it will say Academy 1, or Academy 2 & 3, which will be either of the two. I really like the Academy 3 as a venue, nice and intimate. I think Travis played in the Academy 2 recently, which would have been amazing, but it's still quite big.

#6 kaleidoscopic_imp

kaleidoscopic_imp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, stuff and more stuff...........

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:54 PM

Some listings still refer to 2 & 3 as MDH and Hop and Grape although a quick look at the gig guide from the academy reveals that they call it 2 & 3.
Perhaps you could list them as the academys and bracket the secondary names after them - for the people that still call them the other ones.
Tis confusing at times.........best bets to turn up and follow the masses.....

#7 SKAforLIFE

SKAforLIFE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Music mainly, and anything else worth being interested in

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:41 PM

haha we went to see goldfinger and reel big fish in academy 1, problem is that the queue was so long we got in the one for academy 2 by accident and started queueing for this weird thrash metal band. was a bastard i tell thee

#8 DanDeg

DanDeg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 09:19 AM

haha we went to see goldfinger and reel big fish in academy 1, problem is that the queue was so long we got in the one for academy 2 by accident and started queueing for this weird thrash metal band. was a bastard i tell thee

View Post

Weird thrash metal band>?

Mest were playing in the Acad 2 that night, theyr exactly same sounding as Goldfinger with a different singer :-P, theyr best mates with them too!

#9 Sparticus

Sparticus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 06:36 PM

Are all the academy's next to each other, i've only ever been to academy 1.

#10 wee_insomniac

wee_insomniac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:04 AM

Are all the academy's next to each other, i've only ever been to academy 1.

View Post

Academy's 2 and 3 are in the building to the right of the Academy 1, there's a bar downstairs, and a bar for each of the rooms upstairs.

#11 Sparticus

Sparticus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:33 PM

does anyone know the capacity of each academy? Going to academy 2 for the first time on monday to watch nine black alps, arctic monkeys and forward russia.

#12 Redmeister

Redmeister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:54 AM

I'm watching the View in the Manc academy 2, where the hell is it????

#13 DanDeg

DanDeg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:49 PM

Well if you have been to the Academy 1, it is just next door. The venue is literally next door, you will see a student union with a set of steps, youll see the que anyway probably when you get there. If your getting the train to piccadilly you can practically get most buses from Piccadilly gardens bus station, predominantly the 42, 142, 143, 43, are the most common. Or you could walk from the station but it might take about 15-20 minutes.

#14 speedyscott

speedyscott

Advanced Member

• reviewers
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Music Festivals (Big and small - Glastonbury, Leeds, V, TITP are among the regulars).<br /><br />Lifelong fan of Millwall FC. Interested in loads of sports, athletics, footy, badminton, squash - to name a few.<br /><br />Go to loads of gigs, play guitar (badly) and am studying Film/media at Stirling University.<br /><br />Visit www.eFestivals.co.uk

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

There are some details http://www.egigs.co.uk/index.php?v=55 including a map.

#15 little_miss_star

little_miss_star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:58 PM

it's in the students union.

I went to Academy 3 for the first time a few months back. Really small which was nice although I think the union was being redecorated so the whole venue smelt like paint which kinda ruined the gig and made me feel pretty sick :D

#16 kaleidoscopic_imp

kaleidoscopic_imp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, stuff and more stuff...........

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:52 PM

Theres an Academy 4 now - just to add confusion! Also known as Club Academy. Im seeing the Bees there next week. Its in the basement apparently (same building as 2 and 3) and is supposed to be the smallest of the 4.

#17 Redmeister

Redmeister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

Thanks people

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users