Bands' Best Tracks

mykeff

This is something I've thought about for a couple of years now.

You discover a band, and sometimes they've been going for years. But which tracks are their best.

Specifically for downloaders, but also for CD buyers, how do you choose the best ones?

What is needed is a forum, with bands' names pinned up and votes cast on the best 10 songs in their back catalogue. Or at least the best album they did.

As more and more people get into downloading tracks and discover bands with a huge output of music they'll need advice.

When I discover a new band I usually check which singles they have had out and choose those to see if I like them. Then I trawl through reviews to see which albums are best.

A dedicated area on here, or a separate website would be brilliant. I'm not aware of anyone who does this already, and I'm too lazy/incompetent to follow it through myself. But .... over to you ........... I only want 10% royalties for consultancy fees. :rolleyes:

There's an AWFUL lot of work involved in doing something like this.

It would require putting together a database of every band since the year dot, with a discography for each band, and then maintained as bands release new albums.

The actual voting bit is easy to do when that HUGE database has been built.

It's a great idea, but it's not something I'd consider doing, due to the masses of work involved.

But it might be worth you trying to sell the idea to Napster ort one of the other download sites - after all, they'll already have (or can get access to, from the record companies) the databases of bands and releases. Quite how you get to sell the idea to them tho I'm not sure.

Well according to this, theres 23,000 biogs for a start, might have trouble getting the BBC to let ya use the info though :)

ahhh, the BBC buy that in, and it's sold to lots of sites ...

I had the firm who do it contact me about a year ago, and try to get me to buy into using it. He was a normal won't-let-it-lie salesman type, but he soon gave up when I explained that he wanted more to use the database than eFestivals takes in a year.

• 4 years later...

berkner is sliding more than falling... for the last couple of state contest they made finals... im not too sure that people are posting bands on the rise or bands that have been great but not great enough to become an "elite" band... for me a band that is on the rise even though they are the best in the state already is marcus...

last.fm is a great way to discover new music.

The vast database of individual band pages include Top Tracks, Top Albums, User Comments, Events, Similar Artists and much more.

I'm sure you have seen this site before, but I feel it's relevant to this topic anyway.