Grandmaster Al

top 10 emo bands

Emo's not really my thing. I hate to sound waspish or mean but it seems a bit all the same to me *runs* and its not got much depth or intellect or art to it. Saying that tho, when i'm a bit indied out i like a bit o taking back sunday, and i went to see hifh. I also like lost prophets and ffaf (which isn't very "cool" i know but like i give a fuck!) and my mates really love it so i suppose i'm getting into it a bit. Plus emo boys are really cute, and come the closest to the sort of music i like. mind u theyre only cute when theyre not crying about their ex gf or wetting their beds. :P Brand new are pretty good to listen to. I'm also gonna get sohuted at here - but i try not to like it cuz its so cool to now, i still like to be different.

emo nowadays is not my kinda thing

i like a lot of the first wave of emo bands from the early 90s though, the bands that actually had some talent and weren't just part of a fashionable media hyped scene.

1;braid

2;the appleseed cast

3;american football

4;cap n jazz

5;joan of arc

6;hey mercedes

7;the promise ring

8;the gloria record

they're the main bands who come to mind for me. i like some of the bands mentioned in this thread such as weezer,death cab for cutie etc but dont really consider them particularly emo myself.

there's also a few young english bands i like who i suppose you could catergorise as emo but not in the modern meaning of it. these are bands who are more influenced by the bands ive listed above...

the lucide console

the little explorer

the jesus years

econoline

etc etc

What is everyones problem with emo? Emo to me has delivered some of the most talented and dedicated bands around. Ie : brandnew, Thursday, Funeral for a friend, bright eyes.

Emo has been dragged down by all the 15 yr olds who conform to big fringes, star tats and all the other labels that are associated with them. Even though i wouldn't call them emo, and more so scene fashionistas, spurred on by myspace and other such vanity websites.

there are people like me who don't dress like that but still enjoy a good emo gig, but it seems you cant win either way with this one :blink:

Emo has been dragged down by all the 15 yr olds who conform to big fringes, star tats and all the other labels that are associated with them. Even though i wouldn't call them emo, and more so scene fashionistas, spurred on by myspace and other such vanity websites.

So so true

I just wish other people would realise this instead of grouping emo music with this and then maybe they'd stop being so judgemental and give things a listen.

Like it's already been said Bright eyes and the promise ring are too really great bands and people are missing out on what I think is great music. Also I have never listen to a song by an 'emo' band and wanted to slit my wrists...

So so true

I just wish other people would realise this instead of grouping emo music with this and then maybe they'd stop being so judgemental and give things a listen.

Like it's already been said Bright eyes and the promise ring are too really great bands and people are missing out on what I think is great music. Also I have never listen to a song by an 'emo' band and wanted to slit my wrists...

In my experience the stereotype emos dont actually want to slit their wrists, they want to talk about slitting their wrists - a lot.

In no particular order...

Far

Braid

Texas Is The Reason

Sunny Day Real Estate

Jimmy Eat World (First 2 albums)

Get Up Kids

Chamberlain

Onelinedrawing

The Lemur Appreciation Society

Last Days of April

frosty x

In no particular order...

Far

Braid

Texas Is The Reason

Sunny Day Real Estate

Jimmy Eat World (First 2 albums)

Get Up Kids

Chamberlain

Onelinedrawing

The Lemur Appreciation Society

Last Days of April

frosty x

Are Jimmy Eat World classified as Emo? I think that might upset a fair few people.

1. Leonard Cohen

2. Nick Cave

3. Swans

4. My Bloody Valentine

5. The Smiths

6. The Cure

7. Arcade Fire

8. BrightEyes

9. The Fall

10. Jesus and Marychain

1)From first to last

2)silverstein

3)hawthorne heights

4)the used

5)senses fail

6)underoath

7)from autumn to ashes

8)funeral for a friend

9)aiden

10)Finch

=amazing

sadly am going to have to be not very nice n ask how these bands are emo, earlier posts such as Texas is the reason braid etc a class as pure emo along with Ian Mackays Embrace etc clearly Aiden are not emo they to be very genreist are pop goth punk a supose dont get me wrong ave got nothing against the above bands as a have seen them all apart from finch who alas a never will underoath were a massive let down though a still like them aiden surprised me really didnt like them before a seen them still not my cup of tea but a will give them cridit for playing what the feel right and they do have the ability to get the crowd excited. a am surprised that no-one so far has mentioned at the drive in purely amazing music.

emo kids these day do irritate me quite a bit as it is basically a fashion statement a miss the days of back in the day when a would go to a gig and people there would actually care about the music/bands they were hearing/seeing rather than adding the fact they were there to their scene points list, even if they do enjoy a wide taste of music they claim to hate it a have been guilty of the last point but now realising my mistake of old a have made good of my errors and have opened my ears to a lot of new music even stuff in the charts :P

probably going to sound like some bitter emo elliest but hey ad prefer it if people werent so lazy and labled bands incorectly or simply class it all as rock :blink:

uhmm... here's my list:

1. secondhand serenade

2. dashboard confessional

3. senses fail

4. saosin

5. anatomy of a ghost

6. amber pacific

7. circa survive

8. the get up kids

9. static lullaby

10. typecast

... the coolest bands EVER!!!

It's amazing/crazy how many bands are considered to be emo nowadays.

The term is subject to so much confusion.

At the end of the day though it's pretty much the same for most music genres.