Bruce

Biggest live disappointments?

63 posts in this topic

Ok everyone goes to gigs hoping bands will live up to either reputation or the spirit of their recordings on disc and in many cases supercede them. Sometimes though, you get a gig which is a real let down cos the band either can't be arsed or simply doesn't cut it live.

Two from my experience:

The Strokes

The Vines

:)

I agree!

idlewild - bad setlist.

blink 182 - just bad.

worst i think i've ever seen from a band just ooozing "this is just another day at the office" was The Stranglers at London Dominion in about 1984.

But to be fair to them, it was the second to last night of a horrendously long world tour, and it must be hard to get excited about playing every night, especially when the end is so near.

OASIS - A band just going through the motions. This was at Sheffield a couple of years ago and although they sounded good they just lacked any soul or bite !!!

Probably everyone will disagree but after seeing the likes of Muse, U2 and the Chilis they were just poor.

Not that their were that bad overall, they were still quite good, but i think the Icarus Line @ Reading'04 was quite dissapointing. I mean id heard so much about how crazy and all they were meant to be live but they barely moved the entire set and my mate evn left cus he found them really boring.

Probably everyone will disagree but after seeing the likes of Muse, U2 and the Chilis they were just poor.

ive never seen u2 or chillies but muse are the best live band ive seen! Anyway the biggest disappointment had to be white stripes i must say they were realy dull. :rolleyes:

The White Stripes were dull, but that wasnt a dissapointment, that was them just living up to my expectations.

cidy Posted Today, 02:12 AM

blur at glasto a few yers back ,damon alban just cant cut it live in my opinion

And Damon would agree with you. He's said so on a number of occasions.

i was dissapointed with silverchair because they didnt really play any old stuff at all, but then the lead singe has had so much therapy h may not know that thir first 2 albums even exist.

blur at glasto a few yers back ,damon alban just cant cut it live in my opinion

Strange that

Blur at Leeds 03 were the highlight of the festy for me.

Would agree with Oasis though,they just stand there like a bunch of cardboard cut-outs!

Kings of Leon, wherever they play. ive seen them twice now and both times theyve bored me sensless...just seem to lack anything that makes a live band engaging.

sum 41 leeds 03 wasnt really dissappointed at them was just surprised how shit they r live

who i was dissappointed with was franz ferdinand leeds 04 they just cudnt get the crowd going there better in smaller venues

sum 41 leeds 03 wasnt really dissappointed at them was just surprised how shit they r live

I thought Sum 41 were pretty good at Reading in 2002. Maybe I was lashed, but they rocked actually. But then The Hives came on and shat all over them. :)

Not that their were that bad overall, they were still quite good, but i think the Icarus Line @ Reading'04 was quite dissapointing. I mean id heard so much about how crazy and all they were meant to be live but they barely moved the entire set and my mate evn left cus he found them really boring.

i'd agree with that, they emptied the tent to a certain degree.

one band that hasnt had a mention in this thread and thoroughly deserves one is THE STREETS! worst band i have ever seen live, but then i expected that so it wasnt really a disappointment :)

The Vines aredefinately the worst live band- along wiht the white stripes- all NME hype!!!!!

totally disagree.

the vines arent great musically but i've seen them 3 times and had a grand ole time at every one. i think they are good fun.

i think the white stripes are amazing live. 4 times and never been let down. i dont think they really got the crowd going at leeds this year (at least not where i was) as they maybe made a wrong decision playing loads from their first two albums, but i loved it and heard some of my favourites that i havent seen live before.

cant really judge the mars volta if they were ne thin like at leeds they only played 3 songs

cant really judge the mars volta if they were ne thin like at leeds they only played 3 songs

Thats what they were like at Reading as well and its not what i was expecting from them so it was a big disappointment

lost prophets leeds '04 were quite bad cos of the fact that i couldnt hear them.....even though i was pretty close i was stood at the side of the stage which although is where the speakers are i think the microphones were going off....

they wer actually very good though apart form that hitch