Haggis

Manchester Apollo

16 posts in this topic

In the 80's this was an awful venue. It was all seated and the bouncers made sure that your arse was connected to the velvet will zealous glee. But it transformed itself when it fitted removeable seats, and now it is as good a venue as any in town, with a sloping floor to give those at the back a view.

However, I was dreading sitting up in the circle last night at FF, thinking it would evoke memories of the bad times, but in actual fact the view is rather good up there and standing was not a problem. And now I've nearly arrived at the ripe old age of 34, I kind of like parking my ample behind on occasion. Excellent!

In the 80's this was an awful venue.  It was all seated and the bouncers made sure that your arse was connected to the velvet will zealous glee.  But it transformed itself when it fitted removeable seats, and now it is as good a venue as any in town, with a sloping floor to give those at the back a view.

However, I was dreading sitting up in the circle last night at FF, thinking it would evoke memories of the bad times, but in actual fact the view is rather good up there and standing was not a problem.  And now I've nearly arrived at the ripe old age of 34, I kind of like parking my ample behind on occasion.  Excellent!

I think it's a great venue now. I've only ever been in the standing area, but because the floor slopes, it means that most ppl get a decent view, and it has a really good atmosphere. I've been to so many gigs there now, and still have four to go there before the year is out! Joss Stone, Groove Armada, Faithless and The Prodigy! Can't Wait!!!

yeah the apollo is a good venue, tbh i dont think its too much bigger than the academy(standing area anyway) except that it has an extra seating area upstairs. Prodigy in a few weeks, cannae wait...

When I went I was jumping around and got that dizzy feeling because the floor wasn't flat where I was stood, it was quite weird but I think it's an awesome venue.

Really? How's that and what for? I think they don't take too kindly to crowdsurfing in there, and people who stand at the edge of the balcony...

I don't think the security cared much during the prodigy. My friends were telling me about people dancing on the balcony :( Although i doubt security would have stood a chance.

I don't think the security cared much during the prodigy. My friends were telling me about people dancing on the balcony  :( Although i doubt security would have stood a chance.

One guy got thrown out of Faithless for standing on the balcony (i.e. standing on the edge) they were pretty quick to get to him and there was no messing about in getting him out of there.

They're always shouting at me for smoking in there too, but you just put it out, then light it again when they've gone. Eventually they get bored of telling you!!! ;)

DanDeg, you need to explain why...especially as i've only found that they behave like dickheads to people who behave like dickheads. Give me examples

Katster...it IS a no smoking venue...(but that's another debate!)

Awful venue, security are DIABOLICAL, they kick people out for stupid reasons, its appauling.

im not too keen on the apollo. the security are harsh. at ash last year someone near me got kicked out for literally no reason, they must have got him confused with someone else, there was at least 10 people telling the security he had done nothing but he still got kicked out.

me and the girlie like the apollo. she's a shortarse so appreciates the sloping floor.

shit lager though so we tend not to drink much there.

we make up for that at academy gigs though, brilliant that you can stock up on tinnies at the bar so u dont have to go as often, hafta sweet talk em into not opening the cans first though.

i'm not too much of a fan of the apollo to be honest, i prefer the academy's atmosphere, but maybe my opinion will change when i go to see the zutons in a couple of weeks :D

yeah the apollo is a good venue, tbh i dont think its too much bigger than the academy(standing area anyway) except that it has an extra seating area upstairs. Prodigy in a few weeks, cannae wait...

The apollo is quite a bit bigger as I remember it.

Went to the apollo last week to see HIM, was a great gig.

Also seen Whitesnake, the offspring (x2) and him before there and Im goin to see Whitesnake next month