UKGig_Freak

Smash up your geetars?

11 posts in this topic

Do ya reckon smashing up your instruments is all part of the rock n' roll thing. Or do you think it is just plain stupid? My heart sinks every time I see a guitar thrown into an amp. Next time throw the thing at me!

I have a bass guitar that belonged to some band that threw it into the crowd at the Cavern - if anyone knows which band it was let me know - it has i **** goats carved onto the back of it!

I have a bass guitar that belonged to some band

That's mine!!!

it has i **** goats carved onto the back of it!

Oh....no, it's not. :unsure:

I too am jealous. My guitar is fooked and even a battered one from off a sweaty stage will produce a better sound than my stringed saddo.

Smashing up guitars is showmanship used for an effect, just like a bands lighting. Would you tell bands to give up their lighting so they can donate the money they use for it to those less fortunate? I think not. ;)

I can agree with Kirsty about it being unorigonal, though.

Bands do need some sort of visual signature - I can't wait to get gigging with my band, got a whole collection of rather loud trousers on the go, even if people go away not knowing our name, they'll still remember "that band with the bassist who has a dodgy taste in trousers", but smashing guitars is stupid.

If you're going to go with something, make it a visual signature that people will remember, I've seen loads of bands just throw their guitars to the floor afterwards and I can't remember them all. What does that say?